The subway is a world of its own. no matter if you are a native New yorker- as soon as you walk down the steps onto the subway platform- it seems like a new country- full of unique social norms, rules, and conduct. In this blog, I will be posting my observations of the behavior in the subway.Feel free to make any comments or pose any questions...

a unique perspective

a unique perspective
Looking into a window from underground

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

This is Bushwick Avenue–Aberdeen Street. "It has an interesting design. The entrance to this underground station is in a small building on the north side of Bushwick Avenue between Aberdeen Street and DeSales Place. In this space are 11-foot high coffered ceilings, suspended light fixtures, and fancy ironwork. Parchment brown replacement tiles can be observed. The platforms are slightly curved to the right, and the two tracks are at different levels at the north end of the station, with the southbound tracks being higher due to their descent from an elevated stretch at Wilson Avenue. The pillars are covered in white tile, with mosaics on each one bearing the station's name, "Bushwick Aberdeen". The elaborate porcelain mosaic band is predominantly tan, peach, mauve and brown with yellow, cream, green, rosy beige, slate blue, indigo and black grape tiles in the center. In the mezzanine, there are also bright aqua tiles, as well as the above-mentioned brown replacements." (Wikipedia)

The reason why I chose this station is that I grew up using the L line in Canarsie and wanted to explore the rich history of something my family and I used every day. The station itself I am not familiar with- and while it seemed deserted- my observations of the behavior of the people on the train seemed interesting. Please see the next entry for my observations and enjoy the history of what is Bushwick.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a person with a cheerful and optimistic disposition but still cynical and slightly morbid. I am all about honesty, practicality, and efficiency. Where do babies come from? A stork? i think not. Tell the kidlets the truth instead of scarring them for life and costing them thousands of dollars in therapy when they're 40. although it'll probably happen anyway. I am also the person who thinks about what others don't. Like life insurance.

Blog Archive

"Chance:Pay owner twice what he is owed"

"Chance:Pay owner twice what he is owed"
Take a ride.